Our Global COE program for “Reconstruction of the Intimate and Public Spheres in 21st Century Asia” is recruiting an Assistant Professor.
1.Job Title:Assistant Professor.
Number of Positions:1.
Global COE Program for “Reconstruction of the Intimate and Public Spheres in 21st Century Asia” (Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University)
3.Start Date:April 1st, 2011 (expected date).
Term of Employment: Until March 31st, 2012. Contract would be extendable up to March 31st, 2013 after screening.
(1) The applicant will conduct research within the general purposes of the present program, and give presentations in domestic/international conferences as well as publish their academic results in journals/books.
(2) The applicant will perform various tasks related to the program. Especially  Editing an English-language academic journal issued by the GCOE;  Conducting various international joint research programs, organizing and delivering symposiums and workshops, as well as producing the publications of the program;  Giving lectures as a teaching staff member in the course of the GCOE education program.
(1) The applicant must have keen interest in the subject of “Reconstruction of the Intimate and Public Spheres in Asian Societies (including Japan)”, as well as in developing an international research network.
(2) The applicant must hold a Ph.D. degree on the day of arriving at the post. A Ph.D. degree obtained outside Japan is desirable. However, we also accept applicants with an outstanding academic record who expect to obtain their Ph.D. degree within the present academic year.
(3) Any nationality is acceptable, but the applicant must have sufficient English language ability to edit academic journals and organize international conferences, and they must also have sufficient Japanese language ability to perform the aforementioned job contents.
(4) From the time of taking up the post, the applicant;
・may not hold another full-time job.
・may not be a research fellow of the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, or obtain any other type of research promotion.
・must live within commuting distance of Kyoto University.
6.Terms of Contract:
(1) Working hours are according to a discretionary labor system of approximately 38 hours and 45 minutes per week.
(2) Payment is based on the applicant’s academic history and achievements on an annual salary system according to the University’s standard criteria.
(3) The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Society of Health Insurance and Employment Insurance are provided.
(1) Application form (it is a requirement to use the form provided).
(2) Curriculum vitae (there is a sample format for reference,it is also possible to use a different format if the contents are equivalent).
(3) A list of academic publications and presentations (please distinguish refereed papers and papers which have not been refereed).
(4) Copies of major research studies (up to three works).
(5) Summary of significant academic achievements to date (within 1000 words).
(6) Personal Statement (within 1000 words). This should cover the applicant’s abilities and experiences, including language ability; research experience in foreign countries (if any); presentations at international conferences; experience of editing English-language academic journals; tutoring in academic English; carrying out quantitative surveys; participating in joint research programs; obtaining competitive funds; etc.
(7) Research plan as a GCOE assistant professor (within 1000 words). Please check the summary of the present GCOE program on the website at http://www.gcoe-intimacy.jp/. The applicant must submit a creative research and educational activity plan, which meets the purposes of the program.
(8) Two referees (name, affiliation, and contact information) who can be contacted concerning the applicant’s scholarly ability and research achievements. (Please write this in the application form.)
*The submitted application documents will not be returned to the applicant.
*Applications in either Japanese or English are acceptable.
The entry must arrive by January 31st, 2011.
9.Screening Process and Notification:
Successful candidates in the first screening will be called for an oral interview in the middle of February 2011.
10. Application Documents and Delivery Address:
(1) The application form etc. can be downloaded directly from the website of the GCOE Program “Reconstruction of the Intimate and Public Spheres” (Faculty of Letters, Kyoto University), or can be asked for from the secretariat of the program (See below).
(2) All documents should be sent by post to the GCOE secretariat as registered mail. Please write ‘Application for GCOE‘ in RED on the envelope.
Please contact the GCOE secretariat by email (See below) if you have any questions.
Delivery address, and contact address:
Secretariat office of the Global COE Program for “Reconstruction of the Intimate and Public Spheres in 21st Century Asia”,
Graduate School of Letters, Kyoto University
Yoshida Hon Machi,
Sakyoku, Kyoto City, 606-8501,