The Center for Eurasian Cultural Studies was established in 2004 as a result of the reorganizing of the former Institute for Inner Asian Studies founded in 1966. It is located in the Haneda Memorial Hall which was built in commemoration of the late Professor Toru Haneda (1882-1955), who explored a new field of academic research in Central Asian history and languages, thanks to donations from the Mishima Kaiun Foundation and Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited.
This center is committed to the development of multidisciplinary research and educational activities related with history, language, religion and archaeology in a wide range of Central Eurasia and its vicinities. Some forty scholars in and outside the Graduate School of Letters are affiliated with Center for Eurasian Cultural Studies. The Committee members of the Center for Eurasian Cultural Studies are as follows: